Sponsorship in a career sense is where someone, usually further along their career path than you helps you along or takes you under their wing. It's meant to be a must do and something that it doesn't matter who it is because everyone has something to teach.
Now not wanting to shoot myself in the foot I remained open to this concept. However after experiencing it I believe there are some areas where it may appear less than useful. Recently I went on a trip to Brisbane with my father to experience the entrepreneurial lifestyle. I've listed below the activities and what I've learned.
Super Happy Fun Trip To Brisbane
- Trip to Airport in Taxi - Entrepreneurs don't pay bills, fines etc. They believe in the par 10 (sp?) principle. So not paying what you owe 'the man' is good...
- Airplane Trip to Brisbane - Entrepreneurs prefer to talk to any female that sits down to them and reveal their secret business plans to them rather than talk to their own son
- Taxi Ride from airport - Taxi drivers in Brisbane are as bad as Melbourne and asks interstate tourists where x street is
- Meeting 1 - We are vultures, ravenous, ravenous vultures, benefiting from the corpses of failed entities
- Meeting 2 - Basic usage of a computer to make presentations is still super impressive for some things. Pixelated images FTW
- Lunch - Father left to go to a meeting alone. I suspect fornication. Discovered I fail at social interaction...doubly so for people not of my age
- Meeting 3 - Entrepreneurs never disclose everything. People will line up left right and center for a good sounding idea
- Bar - The best bars are the ones that allow you to stare at 'eye candy'. Also Asahi apparently means Heinekin
- Hotel - Apparently booking a two bedroom room each is the way entrepreneurs do it.
- Dinner - Restaurants are also rated based on their proximity to eye-candy. iPhone app Urban spoon has room for improvements. Apparently Asahi decided it no longer wanted to be heinekin and turned back into Asahi beer.
- Casino - While wife takes care of child alone, entrepreneurs will play. Including initialization of flirting, drink buying and number getting
- Hotel - True entrepreneurs fly off to other states whilst leaving their family to find their own way to their flight much later.
- Airplane ride - People should have to pay more to bring a baby along with them...and they should have to have their own special booth or something
- Ride Home - Apparently Toorak means South Yarra station