Friday, May 1, 2009

╠ Clearly targetting the niche butch lesbian mum market ╣

As most of you with Mother's are probably aware there is a certain day coming up of relevance, and with it comes a wave of ads trying to catch your attention. One I would like to draw to attention is the Bunnings Mother's Day ad. Unfortunately the ad has not reached youtube hence the pic to the left.

Now don't get me wrong, I really am someone who tries to be non sexist. So when I first saw it I was like 'Well I spose Bunnings does sell a lot...'. However the continuation of the ad was advertising the price or power drills, screwdrivers and other various tools.

It may just be me but most of the time the idea that I've seen of Mother's day is that it's 'Mother's day off'. Not 'Mother gets out the power tools and builds herself a spice cabinet day'. I always find it interesting when a brand tries to expand their target market but...this just...confuses me. This is the fault with trying to extend your market, you always risk confusing people about just who is meant to use your product or visit your store.

So this is an example of branching out more than a brand perhaps should therefore meaning that the new market will be confused and not get captured and the current target market will also get confused, feel that they're not the target market and perhaps move elsewhere to where they will be.

1 comment:

Zac Martin said...

Probably the best title of a blog post I've read all year.